Saturday, May 2, 2015

A Guide to College and University Budgeting


Sigh... My first year in college was not only interesting but it surely went by quick. It was definitely a nice experience being on my own and I meeting tons of wonderful people. However, money was definitely a reoccurring issue that was everywhere and in everything I wanted to do while staying I'm campus. A part of me is glad that I'm back home  so I don't have to spend money on food, toiletries, and etc. Having to live off of $20s for a week or two was something I had no choice but to do so I'll teach you  incoming freshmen 10 things that works with a $20 weekly budget.

1. Become friends with people with cars (better yet your roommates if they have cars)

Being friends with people with cars is a great thing. If their talking about going somewhere where you needed to go as well, like the grocery store, you can tag along for the ride instead of having to spend money of bus fare(if you don't have a car like me) or gas. Not only are you able to hang out with your friend but also can get your necessities. Also I will tell this to everyone I know you Do NOT need to be friends with your roommates but establish a line of communication is the best thing to do. But if your roommate does become your friend it's a good thing especially if they have a car. Your roommates are almost like your first communication with other students.

2. Find out if the local county bus near the school rides students free

There is a lot of public transit systems that work to give college students discounts or even free rides as long as you have your university id. There is a bust that even comes through my campus that gives free rides.

3. Eat from the cafeteria only buying food when you no longer have any more meal swipes on your school id.

 I know it's difficult to cope with not being able to eat homemade food all the time.  I swear I was having withdrawal in the first couple of weeks of school. But it's too expensive having Chinese food and pizza brought to campus all the time so find something in your schools cafeteria that you can stick with when there's nothing you don't eat. For me it was hamburgers and French fries or cereal which was always being served throughout the day.

4. Student Discounts!


Discounts are seriously everywhere for college students as long as you have your student ID! I mean my school has discounts ranging between the radio shack down the street from the school to discounts for fixing cars at a local car shop. So search for as many discounts you can! You'd be surprise at just how many discounts there are.

5. Join a site that gives away free things!


Yes safe sites like these do exist! I promise you this is what kept from spending so much money.One of my favorite sites is called influencester and every month or so they send me boxes of things full size products to try out and comment on. Recently the company just sent me their latest box called the Campus Voxbox, which you can see in the picture above. I seriously recommend this site to college students especially all my girls out there because they even give away full size makeup products to try. Here is the link if you wish to sign up! www.influenster.com/r/108347
My other favorite site is called swagbucks where I get money put directly in my PayPal account. And a great thing you get points for buying things from eBay through swagbucks which will eventually turn into money.(this is for a different time and different article)

6. Know what you're buying and how much.

This is huge. Know what you are going in the store to buy and how much. This mentality keeps in mind that there is a budget to adhere to. If you go into Wal-Mart to get tissue, toothpaste, and some deodorant (which all stays in your budget) don't try and veer over to the electronic aisle to see "options" because in reality your budget doesn't allow you any "options."

7. Search around before you buy!

Yes do this! I've been looking everywhere for a droopy beanie and I could never find one and when I did they were always 5 to 8 dollars which I refused to pay. So I took my behind to eBay and started search and low behold I found one for about 2.50.(You can see the comparison below.)  The same thing applies to when it's time for you to buy text books. NEVER use the campus's  bookstore unless you absolutely have to. Look for alternatives on websites like slugbooks, and booksmart.


8. Utilize free campus tools

Many people in their first year of college tend to be oblivious of the great opportunities until it's too late but I made it a goal of mines to know everything about the campus especially things with free in the description. I remember once were a graduate student I meet did not know about the campus's free tutoring for all subjects until he graduated. So make it your business to know what's going on, on campus. For instance, my campus has a business development center that helps create resumes and find internships. This is great if you need a resume instead looking to buy one online. Also there's a spot on my campus that gives free scan tron sheets all throughout the semester. So make sure you know these things!

9. Monitor Campus events


Going out with your friends can be great but it's also really expensive! So what I did instead is found events on campus that my friends and I could enjoy. If your campus is anything like mines there's always something going on. My college host everything from parties and concerts to stand up from famous comedians and karaoke nights regularly. So there's always something to do on campus for free or little money. I think the most money I've ever had to spend was  $5 dollars to go see Big Sean and Slick Rick haha. Cheap right? So make sure to know about these things!

10. Get only what you need not what you want


 Now I know were human but sometimes you have to be strict on yourself. Don't get anything you know you don't need. I know that dress looks cute but now is not the time. Just walkway... walk away. Ignore the calls the nice A-line dress go away and think cleansing thoughts.

So that's it for ways to work with your $20  budget! I hope you guys found some help in this and stay tuned for other articles as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment